Who Should Use an Eye Cream and Why
So what’s the deal with eye creams? Are they the same thing as face cream, just sold in a more expensive and smaller bottle, or do they really work their anti-aging magic like everyone says?
Eye creams are often that one product that people aren’t sure if they really need, but can actually be very important to prevent the signs of aging. If you have an eye area that is drier, with a lack of firmness, or dark circles, an eye cream can be very useful.
Eye Area Biology 101:
First of all, let’s start with why the eye area needs to be treated differently than the rest of your face. The epidermis around the eye area is about 0.04 mm thick, unlike the 0.1 mm on the rest of your face, making it more vulnerable to aging. Repetitive motion and movement of this thin skin can lead to wrinkles and fine lines more quickly than the rest of your face. Sun damage and lack of moisture, as well as inevitable movements like smiling and laughing, lead to the extra fine lines that accompany aging over time.
Another difference between the skin around your eyes and the rest of your face is that the under-eye area does not have oil glands to help keep the skin moisturized. An eye cream that is rich in plant oils will therefore be useful in nourishing this area and protecting the lipid barrier to prevent dehydration.
With this in mind, using a product that contains potent ingredients can be a preventative measure for eliminating the signs of aging. The four types of ingredients that you need in an eye cream include:
Work to combat environmental stressors and free radicals to prevent the signs of aging. Examples include: Vitamin C, E, and green tea extract.
Ingredients that help enrich the skins hydration capacity, to keep it supple and smooth. Examples include Cassia Angustifolia Seed Polysaccharide, and Hyaluronic Acid.
The under eye area can get puffy and inflamed when fluid builds up. Ingredients that combat inflammation can be very useful in creating a more youthful appearance, and can have a long term effect of reducing under eye bags, and firming the skin. Examples include: zinc oxide and tamanu oil.
Skin repairing ingredients:
Helpful for reversing the signs of aging and changing the texture of the skin. Examples of these ingredients include niacinamide and retinols.
Eye Cream v.s. Moisturizer:
So why can’t you use any old face cream in replace of your eye cream? Eye creams are typically formulated to contain more concentrated levels of all of the above anti-aging bioactives. Although we have still not figured out a magic potion to turn back the signs of time, eye creams can definitely help to reduce the appearance of senescence and aging. At Consonant we have two different eye creams, created to target different conditions around the eyes- the Ultra Firming Organic Eye Cream, and the Ultra Moisturizing Organic Eye Cream. The ingredient profile of both these creams covers the four types of ingredients that make an effective eye cream, but each have a few different bioactives for various purposes.
Ingredients they're both formulated with:
- Cassia Angustifolia Seed Polysaccharide- a potent hydrator that binds to water up to 1000 x its own weight, to lock in moisture all day
- Niacinamide- this anti-inflammatory ingredient has a multitude of benefits including the ability to even skin tone, and decrease the size of enlarged pores
- Grape Seed Oil- contains high levels of resveratrol- a potent antioxidant
- Tamanu Oil- “universal skin healer”. Helps to repair and soothe skin, while penetrating deeply
- Jojoba Oil- regulates sebum production and helps moderate oil in oily skin
- Chamomile- soothing agent
Extra Actives in the Ultra Firming Eye Cream:
- Zinc Oxide- A potent anti-inflammatory ingredient, that helps to firm skin and reduce under eye bags and circles. It also helps to reflect light to reduce the look of under eye circles.
- Winner of the Best Canadian Beauty Product by Chatelaine Magazine (!)
Extra Actives in the Ultra Moisturizing Eye Cream:
- Vitamin E- Formulated with the optimal concentration of this powerful anti-oxidant, the Ultra Moisturizing Eye Cream helps to increase the lipid barrier to protect against free-radicals and hydration loss.
So does everyone need an eye cream?
No, not everyone needs an eye cream. The younger you are, the less likely you are to need an eye cream. But for those of you who are prone to bags and dark circles, an eye cream with firming properties can be very beneficial.
If your biggest concern is preventing the pre-mature signs of aging, or if you have dry, dull skin under the eyes, a moisture-rich eye cream with antioxidants would be your best choice. Integrating the two is also useful; we recommend using a firming eye cream in the morning to get rid of puffiness, and a moisture rich cream at night for anti-aging treatment as you sleep.
Sharing is caring! We would love to send you a sample of both of our eye creams so you can see for yourself how luxurious and nourishing they are! Shoot us an email at email@example.com to get yours <3.
We are #consonantlife
- Tags: skin care
- Consonant Skincare